A gift for Bobby?

photo credit: aloshbennett Yesterday, I was reading a comment from Bobby Rich about this small business (whaaaaa?) post on Hildy’s blog. Bobby took Hildy’s idea, smooshed it around a little and decided to see if it would work for his business. I like the idea, but I think we can put a cherry on top […]

Arriving late?

photo credit: h.koppdelaney Today’s guest post is for those business owners arriving late at the “social media party”. For those making an entrance, business-wise, here’s a nice social media startup guide from the NYTimes’ “You’re The Boss” blog. It talks about restaurants specifically, but the advice is sound regardless of what your business does. As […]

One way to create sustainable jobs

photo credit: Bas Lammers Recently, the Flathead Beacon published a story about a global tech-oriented business that continues to grow right here in rural Montana. This business started from scratch and achieved critical mass… Without tax breaks that often encourage unsustainable business models. Without specially crafted laws that treat their industry or part of their […]

Making it personal at BusyMac

If you live in Northwest Montana, you know that one of the things we “cling to” is high school sports. I live in Columbia Falls, a town of about 4500 people. Our arch rival is Whitefish, a town of about 6000 people. While our towns are changing, Columbia Falls has historically been the blue collar […]

Moving to where the jobs are

photo credit: Koshyk In today’s guest post from Forbes, an interactive map showing where people are moving to and from, county by county across the US. Thanks to @BeckyMcCray for sharing it with me.

Facebook you…because?

photo credit: [carlo cravero] As I drive around the area, I see lots of businesses who are trying to reap the potential rewards of local marketing on Facebook. One sign: they have “Facebook us” or “Find us on Facebook” or similar on their roadside signs. The idea is for you to click the “Like” button […]

Taken For Granted

photo credit: Яick Harris This photo wasn’t taken in Chernobyl or in some abandoned ghost town. It’s in downtown Detroit, a few blocks from shining skyscrapers. Every mayor and business owner in the US should look at photos like the one above and imagine what this place once was. The meltdown of the US economy […]

Groping for opportunity – a gift from the #TSA

photo credit: Nicholas_T Much noise has been made of the mess that has become airport security. The recent introduction of TSA’s high resolution body scanners and the “pat downs” (formerly known as “getting to second base”) have stirred up a hornet’s nest of grass roots discontent. As you might expect, there has been much hand-wringing […]

Meating expectations

photo credit: Northampton Museum When I first came across this meat vending machine, the comment I read introducing it was something along the lines of “Do we *really* need this?” If this butcher has customers who do shift work – or anything that keeps them from visiting the shop during business hours- it’s worth a […]

Profitable creativity or touchy-feely crap?

photo credit: Andrea Costa Photography Jobs. Politicians talk about them. Some own businesses that have created jobs. The trouble is, it’s not just any-old-job that needs creating. According to author Richard Florida, 45% of US jobs today are service-sector jobs. In other words, often low-paying jobs as retail sales clerks, customer service staff, food prep […]