In 2007, Americans spent $5 billion on a holidayÂ that most businesses ignore in their marketing plan.
Yep, I said IGNORE. I guess maybe they feel likeÂ theÂ holiday isÂ too childish to participate, or that it doesn’tÂ seem right to use the theme of thisÂ holiday forÂ a serious business like theirs.Â 5 billion dollars of adult spending is hardly childish.
Only 1Â secularÂ holiday – Valentine’s Day – generates more consumer spending than the holiday that gets ignored.
You might have guessed by now that the mysterious holiday is Halloween. You still have 3 weeks, so what would do you do?
Ask yourself a few questions to get yourself thinking aboutÂ a promotion or adÂ campaign:
- Does your business involve reduction of fear?
- Is there anything scary about buying a new house?
- Getting surgery? Having a tooth drilled? Scary.
- Getting a will or other legal paperwork done?
- Scared of spending money on <any service> and not getting your money’s worth?
I think you could do a lot betterÂ than these, but they should get your thought process rolling.
You have 5 billion reasons to think about it and take some action.