I mentioned the Meeker internet / technology trends report last week on Facebook, but I thought I should summarize a few important nuggets from it for small businesses, particularly small software businesses.
- 30 percent growth in mobile users in the last year.
- 50% growth in bandwidth use by mobile devices. Specifically, 15% of all internet bandwidth use is mobile, up from 10% last year.
- Tablet use continues to expand quickly. Apple sold more iPads (140k) than iPhones (60k) last year.
- More tablets shipped in the last quarter of 2012 than desktops, despite being on the market only 3 years.
- Photo sharing is on pace to double since last year. Last year, about 375MM photos were shared per day. This year, users have already shared more than 500MM photos per day on average.
- Wearable device usage is doubling every month so far this year.
- More people access the internet via mobile device in China than via desktop – in a population of over 560 million internet users.
- 45% of Groupon transactions are now online. 2 years ago that number was 15%.
I recommend you check out the whole slideshow, even if you aren’t in the technology business. This stuff affects almost everyone in almost every business.